By Jon D. Payne,Sebastian Heck
In 'A religion worthy Teaching', edited through Jon Payne and Sebastian Heck, an array of devoted pastor-scholars have fun the Heidelberg Catechism on its 450th anniversary with a suite of essays on its dynamic historical past, wealthy theology, and fruit-bearing perform that might be an encouragement to pastors and laypersons alike.
Table of Contents:
Foreword: the Heidelberg Catechism: the key of its good fortune - Herman J. Selderhuis
Part 1: The heritage and historical past of the Heidelberg Catechism
1. The background and folks at the back of the Heidelberg Catechism - Lyle D. Bierma
2. The Heidelberg Catechism within the usa - D. G. Hart
Part 2: The Heidelberg Catechism and the technique of Grace
3. conserving Firmly to the Heidelberger: The Validity and Relevance of Catechism Preaching - Joel R. Beeke
4. Preaching the Catechism at the present time - Joel R. Beeke
5. “Washed from All My Sins”: The Doctrine of Baptism within the Heidelberg Catechism - Sebastian Heck
6. “As definitely As I See and Taste”: The Lord’s Supper and the Heidelberg Catechism – Jon D. Payne
Part three: Christian Doctrine and the Heidelberg Catechism
7. accrued, secure, and Preserved: The Church within the Heidelberg Catechism - Michael S. Horton
8. Grace and Gratitude: Justification and Sanctification within the Heidelberg Catechism - Cornelis P. Venema
9. The Christology of the Heidelberg catechism - Mark Jones
10. “Prophet, health care provider Jesus”: the Son of God as “Our excessive Priest and instructor” within the Heidelberg Catechism - Victor E. d’Assonville
11. The Spirit-Filled Catechism: The Heidelberg Catechism and the Holy Spirit - Daniel R. Hyde
Part four: The Heidelberg Catechism As Catechetical device
12. The Heidelberg Catechism one of the Reformed Catechisms - W. Robert Godfrey
13. The Heidelberg Catechism: A Catechetical software - Willem Verboom
14. Scholasticism within the Heidelberg Catechism? - Willem van’t Spijker
“This is an excellent selection of articles, either sensible and scholarly. there's a lot the following to assist us comprehend the historical past, the theology, and the ongoing relevance of the Heidelberg Catechism. As we pontificate during the Heidelberg in our church i'll definitely seek advice this e-book frequently. It caused me to reconsider and back ‘Isn’t the Catechism remarkable!’ and, extra importantly, ‘Isn’t the gospel amazing!’” — Kevin DeYoung, senior pastor at college Reformed Church, Lansing, Michigan, and writer of the good news We virtually Forgot: Rediscovering the Gospel in a sixteenth Century Catechism
“As a precis and interpretation of God’s notice composed for and certified by way of the Reformed church buildings, the Heidelberg Catechism (1563) has a unique position within the lifetime of the church buildings. we must always be glad about 'A religion worthy Teaching', an exceptional source that is helping us higher comprehend and use the catechism in our time.” — R. Scott Clark, professor of church heritage and ancient theology, Westminster Seminary California
Read or Download A Faith Worth Teaching: The Heidelberg Catechism’s Enduring Heritage PDF
Similar church history books
Church buildings have break up and denominations have shaped over the difficulty of church executive. but whereas many Christians can clarify their specific church’s type of rule and will staunchly uphold it, few have a very biblical figuring out of it. What version for governing the church does the Bible offer? Is there room for various equipment?
This festschrift honoring Joseph Komonchak comprises a number of educational essays during which his colleagues and previous scholars paintings to increase his scholarly paintings in numerous instructions. The ebook honors the achievements of Komonchak, yet extra importantly, it gathers recognized researchers to develop present scholarship at the ameliorations of the Roman Catholic Church within the 20th century.
For plenty of English puritans, the recent global represented new possibilities for the reification of reformation, if now not a domain in which they could start to adventure the stipulations of the millennium itself. for lots of Irish Catholics, in contrast, the hot international turned linked to the adventure of defeat, pressured transportation, indentured carrier, cultural and spiritual loss.
This can be the 1st significant paintings at the heritage of the secular church within the Frankish states of Syria and the Holy Land - an issue which has now not hitherto attracted the curiosity of ecclesiastical historians. the current ebook has been written to fill this significant hole in crusader reports. It offers with the interval stretching from the institution of a Latin hierarchy after the 1st campaign to the ultimate conquest via the Mamluks in 1291.
- Ethics and Power in Medieval English Reformist Writing (Cambridge Studies in Medieval Literature)
- When Your Christianity Renders You Ineffective: Reclaiming God's Intention for His Church and His People
- Miguel Pro: Martyrdom, Politics, and Society in Twentieth-Century Mexico
- Preaching That Pleases God: The Keys To Life-Changing Bible Exposition
- A Flock Divided: Race, Religion, and Politics in Mexico, 1749–1857 (e-Duke books scholarly collection.)
Additional info for A Faith Worth Teaching: The Heidelberg Catechism’s Enduring Heritage
A Faith Worth Teaching: The Heidelberg Catechism’s Enduring Heritage by Jon D. Payne,Sebastian Heck